From:
"Susan E. Harless" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 1994 01:29:10 EST
Dear Karen:

I just recently (1989) finished my master's degree, and did it through the
continuing education department at a larger university, named Oregon State.
It took longer than it might have since I worked full-time as assistant
curator while I was doing it, but I ended up with a Master's in Science
Education (emphasis Museum Education). All of my projects were museum
oriented, rather than classroom focused, which created many lively
discussions.  I felt it broadened my understanding of learning theory,
educational philosophy and the premises of educational design, all in all a
broad concept of education across the museum spectrum.  It did provide, in
addition, the option of classroom instruction as a byproduct, which might be
helpful to those who may begin instructing instead of curating.  It was not
an easy program to construct, but with good communication with the department
head, it was achievable, even though OSU was over 140 miles away, across a
mountain pass, and our only local facility was a community college.  My
advice on informal education:  the better you know the current construct of
education, the more clear the rewards of informal approaches.

Good luck!  Susan Harless