From:
Michael Radice <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 1999 07:32:04 EDT
Timothy L. Campbell wrote:
collectionless>>
<<museums" is the fear that directors will become inspired to sell off>>
<<valuable cultural or historic resources to buy computer terminals and>>
<<those cool glass spheres with the lightning effects inside>>

I think that's one reason.  Another is fear of change.  A museum that doesn't
collect is a big departure from the definition and historic purpose of a
museum.  It is human, I think, to be a tad skiddish about change -- especially
one this drastic.  Regardless, this phenomenon   forces museums to rethink
their primary purpose.  If their primary purpose is to educate rather than
collect, then a noncollecting museum fits well in the group.  If their primary
purpose, which is the traditional one, is to collect, than a noncollecting
museum doesn't fit the group.

Although I'm sure there are exceptions, none of the noncollecting museums that
I have been associated aren't techno-palaces.  Perhaps the reason is that they
are small; they don't have the money for that kind of stuff.  However, I think
it is more about the fact that the focus is on delivering a message rather
than of "wowing" people.  You don't need flashing lights if you have a
well-delivered message.

Michael Radice
The Union Institute

Museum-L" (without the quotes).