From:
"R. Morrison" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 May 2003 10:05:31 -0700
I could not disagree more with this ultra-worn "liberal media" statement,
because in fact, the administration/press has been exactly the opposite for
this war.  Average Americans, radio talk show hosts, political speakers,
actors, country western groups, you name it --have endured incredible media
criticism and have been very publicly blackballed for saying "anything
negative" about this war.  Then we have Ashcroft saying to the 'Senate' that
any American who had the nerve to have a different opinion about the war
than the administration, (and I paraphrase--although I have his nauseating
speech written down), were "non peace lovers"--AND "scare[ed] peace loving
people."  In addition, Ashcroft continued re: dissenting Americans that
"your tactics [aid] terrorists," AND "[erode] our national enemies." Of
course the subtext of this speech/"order" is that the administration "should
not be questioned in any way."  Liberal indeed.

Also, I think a distinction needs to be made between the
"military/administration" and our boys doing their best they can and doing
as they are told.  Regarding the looting, when our "liberating missiles"
destroyed institutions that could possibly help these people get back on
their feet by realizing some type of national identity, how ironic that we
criticized any craziness that followed.  Why in the world should we be
surprised when the people, most who live in abject poverty anyway, react to
seeing their world blown up by going a little mad.  As for the military not
helping, or not helping much (and again, I don't blame "the boys" because
they under command)--America has traditionally been ambivalent or worse, to
central or eastern Asians, Islamists, etc-- fighting among themselves and
thus helping to destroy the "freedom" the administration recently so
decidedly pursued.  In fact, historically, America has aided, over and over,
with weapons and money, rebellions/wars in central and eastern Asia to aid
our own corporate interests here--we have to keep our profit motive intact.

What is forgotten, over and over again, is that a people who have nothing or
little to lose, poverty-stricken with no possibilities, people who have lost
what little national identity they had left, these are the people who and
participate in terrorist groups anyway.

Regards to all,
Rhonda Morrison

The US press is very liberal as a whole and
doesn't like Bush, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld or getting into this war but rallied
around
the troops like everyone else.