From:
DucPhong Nguyen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Apr 2004 13:21:25 -0400
I'm posting this on behalf of the HOP.  Please follow the links below for more information.

The Smithsonian's Human Origins Program has a 4-year position for a Data Management Technician.  The position has just been advertised, and we're writing to ask you to encourage excellent candidates to apply.  A major component of our NSF HOMINID grant involves building a public access database for students and professionals.  The Data Management Technician will help us develop the database, which will relate early hominin fossil, archeological, and local environmental records, faunal and floral records, and sequences of regional-to-global climate change. We seek candidates with experience in creating databases and constructing them for web-based applications and hopefully with a background in archeology, paleobiology, and geology.   An example of how we imagine this database to work and what type of information it will contain is given at this web address: http://web8.si.edu/nmnh/anthro/HOIdatabase/start.htm  A more detailed description of the database, taken from our grant proposal, is attached along with the vacancy announcement, both in PDF format. Information on how to apply for the position is given in the announcement and at: http://ohr.si.edu/vacancy.cfm?close=close,mpanumor (Job announcement # 04AD-1101) The deadline is April 23.