From:
Mary Day Kent <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 1996 15:39:10 -0500
Although a typical but thrifty honorarium for an academic presentation for
us would
be $100, we do pay graduate student-type speakers $20-30 honoraria for talks to
student groups. In the rare cases that we need to pay someone to give a
specialized
gallery tour we would expect to offer a similar rate. Given that docents are
trained, knowledgeable, and professional (albeit unpaid generally), their time
should be worth at least the going rate for housepainters. Value of time for
grants should also include the hypothetical benefits people would be getting if
they were being paid for their work.
Mary Day Kent  International Classroom   The University of Pennsylvania Museum