From:
"N.M. Cummings" <nmc*@MCS.COM>
Date:
Tue, 6 May 1997 17:48:17 LOCAL
If I understand your question...Negative Numbering is as important to an
institution as numbering artifacts and specimens.  Or else you go to the
Geology Department and say "You know, I wanna see "that" dinosaur bone" or
"that pottery from Peru, it had lines on it...".  But in our museum's case we
can't just assign the specimen number or artifact number to the
photograph...because what happens when you have a grouping of several objects?
So, each image is given a distinct negative number (even though we call them
that for slides and large format transparencies...).

If that wasn't your question -- how images relate to a collection or
inventory...then apologies in advance.

-Nina Cummings, The Field Museum

In article <[log in to unmask]>
Bonni-Dara Michaels <[log in to unmask]> writes:>Date: Tue, 6 May 1997
08:38:18 -0400>From: Bonni-Dara Michaels <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Negative Numbering

>What is negative numbering in the context of a museum inventory or
>collection?

Say no to SPAM. When replying, remove the  *  in order to e-mail me.