From:
Arlyn Danielson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jul 1997 10:15:44 -0400
To Mary Ames Sheret:

 Deaccessioning need not be a nightmare.  If the items under consideration
for disposal/deaccession have been around for a long time (years/decades),
and you don't have legal title to the items, check your collections policy
and see what it says for this type of situation.  I think a good way to go
about it would be to look carefully through all your documentation to
determine who left the item with your museum.  If this individual is
nowhere to be found or deceased, and you have no idea where to turn, a good
strategy would be to advertise in the local paper for the owners to come
and pick their items up.  You might also want to advertise in the local
paper where the original owner lived or where  you think the current heirs
live.  Specify what you have and that you need to return the item. In
addition, specify in the ad what it says in your collections policy as to
how long your museum is willing to store the items and for what purpose.
 Once that period is over and no one claims anything, you should normally
feel free to dispose of the item.

Also, long lost heirs need to present proof of ownership for the item as
you do not want to give it to the wrong person. Hope this helps!

Arlyn Danielson
Newseum