From:
David Lewias <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 2004 15:27:31 EST
Thought I'd chim in on the scanner conversation.

When I bought a new G4 (wahhoo!) a few months ago I did a lot of research on
flatbed scanners.  About the ONLY 11x17 scanner I could find was the "Umax
PowerLook 2100XL" ($1,200 from CDW).  A local historical society bought this
scanner and loves it, and so I bit the bullet, and bought it.

I soon found that it needs a "Scuzi" port, (but-never-fear, it even include a
"scuzi card" for those computers that didn't have one).  The problems arose
when I learned that the new Macintosh G4 deeds a different "type II" card --
arghh...  Suffice it to say after several LONG conversations with Umax tech
support their scanners will not work with most newer Macintosh computers, (they
also had a problem using OS X software as I recall).  My words of adivce -- CALL
and talk with Unmax before making a purchase,

I returned the Umax and purchased a small inexpensive Canon LiDe -- I love
it.   Wonderful sharp images, and even though its only 8.5 by 11, I and finding
it's just as easy pasting two-halves together in Photoshop when nessecary.

- David -
Aurora Regional Fire Museum
www.auroraregionalfiremuseum.org