From:
JHANDLEY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Dec 1996 13:42:03 PST
    I agree with you comments, thanks.  I believe that the AAM is
    important, but then again, I work in a non-accredited museum and
    we have recieved wonderful grants, etc. so I have no idea what
    accredidation would bring for us.

    My passion for this topic may lead nowhere--and I'm willing to
    accept that in the end if that is all that can be attained.  But I
    am really concerned for the future of our specility as more and
    more people enter the field. I can't help but think that we
    can all work together to raise the standards for museum employees
    through a carefully organized effort.  The many comments on this
    list have helped me to sort out some of my concerns.  My
    foundation is still the same, that is, that people are museums
    greatest resource, first the staff, and second the public.  In the
    80s and 90s, museums turned their attention to the public's
    needs--which is important.  But I feel that in doing so,
    many may have ignored the poeple who are the most faithful to the
    cause--the dedicated people who work behind the scenes day in and
    day out.  Public perception is essential, and I think it is part
    of the greater cause we as museum workers must strive to raise.
    There are now more musems than ever--and more museum professionals
    than ever--why is this so if the public doesn't value museums so
    highly?

    I'm not even sure how I will proceed yet--but perhaps a standard
    set of guidlines for professionalism that includes appropriate
    salaries and benefits would be a reasonable goal to shoot for.
    Whether or not the AAM will endorse such a thing, and who, for
    that matter, would subscribe to it, is altogethr another thing.
    Any takers?

    John Handley