From:
Laura Firth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Aug 1997 10:27:59 -0000
Apologies for returning to a topic well covered last week but I think a
point may have been missed. The discussion of no labels on interactives
versus well-written labels that support, reinforce and/or enhance the
interactive experience was very interesting and as were the different
philosophies of the purpose of labels.

One of the writers mentioned that few visitors ever read the labels.
Studies may confirm this, but therein lies our challenge. I am an
interpretive exhibits writer and when I go to museums, science centers,
zoos, etc., I am apt to cease reading labels when they are dry,
impersonal, unengaging or difficult to read because of their graphic
design (or lack thereof). If these labels turn off a museum professional,
how much more likely are they to turn off casual visitors?

So back to the challenge: let's change the readership statistics by
producing interesting, informative, entertaining and well-designed musuem
labels that visitors -- and other museum professionals ;-) -- want to
read!

Laura H. Firth
Interpretive Exhibits Writer/Researcher
Phone: (206) 782-4334