From:
Julia Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 2008 10:09:20 -0400
I don't think that's quite true.  A lot would depend on whether the
photographs you used were in the public domain or not.

For example, let's say that I used photographs taken by Photographer A
two years ago of an outdoor sculpture that was created in 1829 by
Sculptor B, and painted a mural from those photographs.  Since the
sculpture was in the public domain Photographer A was not infringing on
any copyrights, but in creating a derivative work from Photographer A's
work I was infringing on Photographer A's copyrights.

However, if I had taken the photographs and then painted the mural based
on them, I would not be infringing on anyone.

Julia Muney Moore
Public Art Administrator
Blackburn Architects, Indianapolis, IN
(317) 875-5500 x219