From:
Mark Tomas Bahti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Mar 1999 08:31:47 -0700
If museums (theoretically) deaccession  because an item truly does not fall
within the scope of the collection(s), rather than for income, why not
create a website where such items are listed and can be acquired by museums
who CAN use them?

The acquiring institution could pay the direct costs involved (packing,
shipping, paperwork) and if no accredited institution expressed an interest
in the item after some reasonable period of time, then it could be auctioned
at some semi-annual event which would have the net effect of attracting more
and better qualified buyers.

Mark Bahti