From:
John Martinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 1996 22:26:00 PDT
At 07:24 PM 6/18/96 -0700, you wrote:
>For all those also interested in Native peoples' museums,
>
>I am attempting to compile some very specific, international and
>transnational information about museums run by Native peoples in the
>Western Hemisphere.  Perhaps some of you could help me out with
>institutions that you have encountered or have heard about...or perhaps you
>are interested in the results...
>
>1.  NATIVE AMERICAN MUSEUMS OF 19TH AND EARLY 20TH CENTURY
>In the course of my dissertation research, I have come across a few
>tantalizing examples of tribal groups who attempted (some successfully,
>some not) to establish their own museums, beginning as early as the early
>19th century (Cherokee) and others at the turn of this century (Menominee,
>Iroquois and so on).  Some were tribal initiatives and others were family
>initiatives.  If you are aware of any documentation of institutional
>initiatives such as these, successfully set up or not, I would love to hear
>about it.
>
>2.  INDIGENOUS-RUN MUSEUMS IN LATIN AMERICA
>I am interested in identifying indigenous museo comunitario-type projects
>that are already established or are being planned in Latin America (some of
>which border on cultural center/library/language centers).  I am most
>familiar with the network of them in the state of Oaxaca, Mexico which is
>currently spreading to other states.  There is also an interesting one that
>has recently opened in Acr=E9, Brazil.  Those of interest to me are the
>outcome of grassroots movements and although they receive state or NGO
>funding, are governed and run within rural indigenous pueblos or urban
>communities by the indigenous people themselves.  I am particularly
>intrigued by the transnational dimension of the exhibits, networking,
>funding, and cultural representation of some of these institutions.
>
>I would be most appreciative if anyone could direct my attention to
>examples of either of the cases described above.  I am scratching the
>surface of the international extent and transnational dimensions of
>indigenous museums in my dissertation "Encounters in the Nation's Attic:
>Native American Community Museum/Cultural Centers, the Smithsonian
>Institution, and the Politics of Knowledge-Making," but I am interested in
>pursuing a compilation of this further.
>
>Looking forward to your thoughts,
>Patricia Erikson

Patricia:

The Umatilla Tribe, near Pendleton, Oregon are now trying to set up
their own museum.  Also, there is an excellent museum, with wonderful
building design at Warm Springs, Oregon.  The Yakima (Washington)
Native Americans also have a very popular museum. =20

I believe the Grande Ronde Tribe of Oregon is also setting up a=20
new museum.  Of course, these are more recent attemps, and most
have been successful.  Most tribes I have visited, have some type
of museum or historical room.

John Martinson          =09
Work: Fort Walla Walla Museum=09
755 Myra Rd                                             =09
Walla Walla, WA  99364  =09
(509) 525-7703 (Work)