From:
John Martinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 14:28:00 -0600
There has been a few references by the group to the Geneva Convention, and
the stipulation that the United States is required to stop looting.
However, in my own search, I've found only references to looting
specifically done by military soldiers NOT looting by civilians or a
population from the country being looted.

Can someone with a copy of the Covention, the particular artilce mentioning
that fact please advise me on list or off the exact article by number and
source where to find it.

Some may be interested in the following sites/articles about this issue:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,934680,00.html

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/04/09/1049567749304.html  (I don't
think the Iraqi people are going to like the Australians wanting to stay
after the new government of Iraq is established).

http://www.rte.ie/news2/2003/0411/iraq.html

Referring to the scenes of looting, the Secretary-General of the United
Nations, Kofi Annan is reported to have said: "Obviously law and order must
be a major concern ... I think the (Security) Council has also reaffirmed
that the Hague Regulation and the Geneva Conventions [on the duties of
occupying powers] apply to this conflict and that the coalition has the
responsibility for the welfare of the people in this area. And I am sure
that will be respected".
"Referring to the scenes of looting, the Secretary-General of the United
Nations, Kofi Annan is reported to have said: "Obviously law and order must
be a major concern ... I think the (Security) Council has also reaffirmed
that the Hague Regulation and the Geneva Conventions [on the duties of
occupying powers] apply to this conflict and that the coalition has the
responsibility for the welfare of the people in this area. And I am sure
that will be respected".   Source"
http://www.web.amnesty.org/pages/irq-engmde140852003

I see no mention in any of these articles that the US is responsible for
protecting the museum, but more so the hospital and humanitarian side of the
issue, or as the above segement states, "the welfare of the people in this
area."

However, to everyone's attention, I just saw on the news that marine or army
guards are outside the museum.   In addtion, Iraqi troops, trained for
policing by the US, are now coming into the area to stop the looting.
Sheesh, we just got in the area less just a week now when the statues came
down...and things sometimes takes time to be establishe when looting is
going on.  How do you stop looting before you are there to stop it?  How
could advance preparations been made to unknown circumstances.   An army
cannot have personnel not in the battle...and be responsible for them.

Someone suggested museum professional and such should have been with the
advance forces coming to Iraq, and be consulted or warn the soldieris "don't
blow that up..that is 5,000 years old....oh, that over there is a
museum...don't blow that up.  And you better stand guard over there..."  And
I'm not making light of that, but it may have been a good idea.

In another article, it also mentions only medical establishments sited for
protection.  "This inaction by the occupying powers is in violation of the
Geneva Conventions, which explicitly state that medical establishments must
be protected, that the wounded and sick must be the object of particular
protection and respect must be protected and must be free to carry on their
duties," it warned."   Source:
http://www.arabia.com/newsfeed/article/english/0,14183,387991,00.html

Has someone taken the Geneva Convention out of context?????   It seems all
these articles are referring to the humanitarian, medical and human
rights--and there is no mention that the convention requires protecting
private property, mueums or other establishements beyond hospitals, etc.

In reality, the American and coalition forces have helped restore the water
and bringing in aid as quick as possible.  Yes, the American troops and
medical teams have brought in Iraq soldiers shot..and work on them the same
as they would a US soldier.  That is under the Geneva Convention.  Yes, they
have been talking with leaders to restore governments in cities;  that to is
part of restoring human rights back to the people.  Yes, they have talked
with leaders and the communities to get water, hospital, education and other
life substating buildings back up and running.  That too, was part of the
Geneva Convention.

And yes, there were pre-atttack plans to bring in aid to secured areas, but
they were stopped because the harbors were bombed.  Also, from the North,
the coalition did not have the advantage with one of their Allies, to use
their country to enter Iraq -- so all forces had to be dropped in or come in
from the South.  This slowed things down.  Iraq has many cities, and you
don't come in and click your fingers and all things are back to normal.  War
is a machine.  War is hell, and often things have to be secured before
non-combantants are allowed into any area, for their own safety.

But, some on this list-group are saying the convention specifically refers
to protecting museums.   I have not seen it, and would like to receive a
verfication that it is a fact.  Please email me privately or to the group
that particular article from the Convention.  Thanks in advance.

Best,

John Martinson