From:
Jay Heuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 2000 14:13:25 -0500
Hello Indigo Nights et al.,

        To be quite honest, this issue could be raised without the specifics.
As a result, your inclusion of the name of the institution serves to
embarrass the Kimball or -- at minimum -- put the Kimball on the spot.

        On this topic: why do visitors to museums assume museums are prepared
to deal with every situation without prior notice?  Why are visitors
with special circumstances not logically approaching their impending
visit to a museum or other tourist site?  Why did this visitor not think
to call ahead, to ensure her needs could and would be met?
        Do not mistake this message as unsympathetic.  I feel my reaction is
logical.  For example, I have been yelled at and belittled by people who
visit expecting Joslyn Art Museum to have many more wheelchairs than is
reasonable.  We have two wheelchairs . . . considering regular daily
attendance can be anywhere from 50, with several hundred or even several
thousand here for special events, two wheelchairs seems like plenty.
        In terms of strollers, Joslyn Art Museum does not have any at present.
So, would this lady be in a position to sue Joslyn had she not brought
her own stroller?
        It takes two to tango . . . museums and visitors.  Everyone must accept
the responsibility . . . the Kimball and this visitor.

Yours truly,

Jay Heuman, Visitor & Volunteer Services Coordinator
Joslyn Art Museum http://www.joslyn.org
2200 Dodge Street, Omaha, NE, 68102
Phone: 402-342-3300, ext. 298
Fax: 402-342-2376