Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 2006 11:46:12 -0500
Both Dr. Müller-Straten and Jeremy's comparisons of the Wikipedia to
Encyclopaedia Britannica raise what is a parallel question in the
museological discussion, namely, is the point of inclusion simply to
involve 'others' or 'outsiders' in the museum (as Lola Young has
phrased it, 'to be more like us')?

Or should the objective be to redefine the parameters of collecting and
narratives told by the museum? (The parallel being, can a collaborative
encyclopedia like wikipedia only go as far as to recapitulate the
Encyclopedia Britannica, or can it go farther?)

Or are 'community curators' just a gimmick to get some interesting,
sometimes quirky, display labels?

-L.D.