From:
Micki Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 2004 14:20:14 -0800
Jennifer: Our center for Community and the Arts subsidizes all of its
programs in order to make events at the Center accessible to all residents
and visitors to our small island (our residents hover around 49% living
under the federal poverty level). Rarely does a ticket cost more than $12,
and this includes ticketed performances (yes, classical music and lots else)
that cost $40 - $60 on the mainland. However, this carries with it a chronic
$30,000 income shortfall each year, which is filled from an annual "Friends"
campaign. We have no membership fees as every property owner or resident is
a "member" of the Community Center. Our pitfall  is that we are not growing
in income and therefore cannot grow in expenses-- our center is new, but
maintenance costs will soon grow and grow. We recently began seeking grant
support but are finding that if we want to continue such a generous policy,
we'd better figure out a way to cover its side effects ourselves. I'd love
to hear how you resolve this.

Micki Ryan
Secretary
Lopez Center for Community and the Arts