From:
Peter Rebernik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 20:15:56 +0100
Museum have to preserve the originals AND present it. This balance is not
easy. But who says that life should be easy? I am not amused if museums DO
HAVE originals, but hide them in the storage and show only copies.

Dear Lisa,
your example! You do not want to use original bowls for real cooking! How
wise! But: you should show the original! You can USE any kind of replica, of
course. But, why not SHOW the original in a safe glass case?
If you do not show the original, you might be called a theme-park, a good
one, a nice one, but you should not be called a museum!

Dear Lisa,
I appreciate very much that museums should not only show the objects they -
accidentally - have collected, but themes, aspects, history. I would like to
see an art museum which explains all the main works of art of a certain
artists, highlighted by the "originals", the museum has collected. Most of
the art museums just show the objects they have - and simulate that this is
all there is.
Museums should present "how/who/where/why it was". They should use all kinds
of interpretative means - but they should not - NEVER - hide their
originals!

Peter, the amused Rebernik

 | PHAROS International - Bureau for Cultural Projects
 | Peter Rebernik, Dipl.-Ing.
 | Anton Baumgartner-Str. 44/C2/3/2
 | A - 1230 Wien / AUSTRIA
 | Tel. & Fax: (+43 1) 667 2984
 | Mobiltel.: (+43 664) 230 2767
 | Email: [log in to unmask] / Web: www.rebernik.at
This mail is also a natural product.  The slight variations in spelling and
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to
be considered flaws or defects.