From:
"Simmons, John E" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 11:28:57 -0500
I think Dawn Scher Thomae's advice is good.  What is most important is that
you select a program that is right for you, that provides the best fit with
your educational and career goals.  I advise students to both look closely
at programs to find a good fit, and also start looking at job ads for their
"dream job" to see what the educational requirements are.

The Museum Studies Program at the University of Kansas is a two-year,
non-thesis Master of Arts program.  We require 18 credits in museum studies
classes, 18 in an academic specialty (American Studies, Anthropology,
Biology, Geology, History, or Indigenous Nations Studies), and a 6 credit
hour professional internship.

There are about 100 graduate degree granting museum studies programs in the
US.  I recommend you check two publications:

Adams, R. (editor).  1999.  Guide to Museum Studies Training in the United
States 1999-2000.  American Association of Museums, Washington, D.C.

Schwartzer, M.  2001.  Graduate Training in Museum Studies: What Students
Need to Know.  American Association of Museums, Washington, D.C.

Most of the museum studies programs have web sites that will help you learn
a lot about the program and the institution.  Check these, too.

Good luck to you,

John

John E. Simmons
Collection Manager, Natural History Museum
and
Coordinator, Museum Studies Program
University of Kansas
Dyche Hall