Date:
Wed, 6 May 1998 17:34:06 -0700
Since no one seems to want to rain on this parade of political
correctness on the Military Uniform Symposium, I guess it is my turn
(once again). The focus on military musuems is NOT the glorification of
war, but the preservation of a part of history. I know that scholarship
may be sorely lacking in the museum community, but logic would seem to
relative enough to see the same connection of purpose of one museum to
another museum.

As with any history museum, it is something that HAS HAPPENED and is a
record of that; and a set of lessons from which we are supposed to
learn--and not repeat. If we become scantimonious, and political correct
(read censor) about such things, we are doomed to repeat them over and
over.

IF, on the other hand, we are content to apply political correctness,
then I have an agenda of museums that I think should be closed and the
information presented should be suppressed.

Hopefully, my less than blunt point is made. (BTW, I am not singling out
Ross Weeks or Herr Rebernik in particular, but the whole pervasive
permissiveness that allows political correctness to set reactionary
agendas.) (I would also guess that the silence accorded this incident,
is not so much a matter of unconcern, but of patient groans about 'oh,
no yet another'....)

Dave Wells
Quinault National Museum Project
821 Kaiser RD NW 6A