From:
"Andree M. Mey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Aug 1996 15:15:08 -0400
I have recently been asked by a local all-volunteer historical society
to create a third-grade school tour and accompanying classroom materials
for their gristmill.  Upon visiting the site, I discovered that the
interior had been totally gutted; there is almost no surviving equipment.
I've been able to be pretty creative with the tour development, but at
my meeting with teachers who will be using the tour, it was quite clear
that the previsit materials need to include a video of a similar mill
in operation.  The mill had an undershot wheel and utilized grindstones
throughout its existance.  Of course I am hoping to find a video of a
mill as technologically similar to this as possible, but appropriateness
for third-graders is probably a more important criteria.  We would
be looking to purchase one or more copies for the school and would also
be interested in any curriculum materials associated with such a video.

Please respond off the list to Sarah Nelson at the address below, as
this is not likely to be of general interest to the list.  I will
greatly appreciate any help I can get!

Sarah Nelson