From:
Maria Munoz-Blanco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Nov 2001 16:00:58 EST
Adrienne:

You may want to avoid making the kind of statement that you included in your
recent posting (particularly "<<In any case, the guggenheim administration
has apparently proved itself to be spectacularly incompetent, having spent
itself almost to death on follies such as a twenty million dollar Web site.>
>").

This kind of statement is an unfair and ungrounded generalization. Yes, the
NYT wrote about the Guggenheim layoff and financial situations and they
quoted folks critical of the Guggenheim management but I am sure there is
another side to this story that wasn't published in the NYT (if you believe
in balanced media coverage... ) Your categorization of the leadership of the
institution as "spectacularly incompetent" is really a bit too much! The
Guggenheim took an entrepreneurial risk and they may / may not succeed--that
does not make them incompetent.

From my end, I applaud the Guggenheim's thinking outside the traditional box
and I hope the tide turns around and they succeed. After 10+ years of
evaluating museums as part of my job as a grantmaker, I think it's about time
we move away from thinking of museums (and any cultural institution) as
'temples' of goodness, where everything is done for the goodness of humanity.
As for $20 million website follies... nothing ventured, nothing gained.

BTW, I have no connections whatsoever with the Guggenheim (other than great
admiration for the Franks)

Happy Thanksgiving to All!

María Muñoz-Blanco
Deputy Director
Fulton County Arts Council
141 Pryor St. SW, Suite 2030
Atlanta, GA  30303
(404) 730-5780
Fax: (404) 730-5798
e-mail: [log in to unmask]

 "What is important is not what happens to us, but how we respond to what
happens to us."
Jean-Paul Sartre

Visit the Fulton County Arts Council website at www.fultonarts.org.

Opinions expressed in this message may not necessarily represent the policy
of the Fulton County Arts Council.