From:
Timothy McShane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 May 2004 11:43:39 -0600
Ditto for Canada--the University of Toronto and the University of
Victoria both have well-established museum studies programmes, and I
believe there have been a number of other universities (University of
Calgary comes to mind) that have started up similar programmes in recent
years.  So, we're also providing well educated "domestic" candidates for
our museum industry.

And, yes, it's as difficult here to get into the field as it appears to
be in the U.S.--it took four years after graduation before I landed my
first job in the profession, and then it was a just a job for the
summer.  That was followed by a 10 week contract that I had to move 1000
km to take (I took a gamble that it might be extended; it was, and kept
me employed for over two years).  That was followed by another contract
(for a year that time), which was 3300 km away from me, so I packed up
and moved again.  Again, that job was made permanent after the contract
was up, so I stayed until financial difficulty at that museum led to me
being downsized.  So, another move of 3000 km got me to the position I'm
in now.

(BTW, my significant other, bless her, followed me through all of these
moves--although it meant we spent almost three years living in separate
cities while she followed her career path, with one or the other of  us
driving the 500 km round-trip most weekends.  Yes, a sacrifice, but it
can be done.  Happily, we are now able to both be employed in our
fields, and live under the same roof!)

From what I know, it's about as difficult for a foreigner to find work
in Canada as it would be in the UK, ie., having to demonstrate that
there isn't expertise to fill the job within the country.  I do believe
similar stipulations apply to foreigners trying to qualify for work in
the U.S.  So, you're probably pretty much stuck with having to find
employment within your own country.  But, if my experience may provide
example, if you're willing to re-locate to another country for a job,
you should be willing to re-locate anywhere within your country, and
that will greatly increase your chance at finding a job.

And, if I may try to cast a small ray of light into the always-gloomy
discussion of trying to find that entry-level job, remember that even in
the worst economic times, there are always people retiring, starting
families, or for a variety of other reasons leaving the profession, and
those jobs do not necessarily go to the most educated, experienced, or
qualified.  They go to whoever is best at getting the job!  And, while
education, experience and qualifications help in that regard, a phrase
that helped me through some rough job-searching times is, "Enthusiasm
counts!"  So, be proactive, be enthusiastic, be tenacious, be flexible,
be prepared for a long haul, and grow a thick skin to let those
rejection letters bounce off you--in the end, you'll get what you've
fought for.

Good luck,

Tim McShane, Assistant--Cultural History
Medicine Hat Museum and Art Gallery
1302 Bomford Crescent S.W.
Medicine Hat, AB   T1A 5E6
(403) 502-8587

> Today, our job market is not good.  Would their be any
> chances for these folks to be placed in your country?
> I know Star is working in Italy, and she's from the
> US.  Do we have others who can offer advice?

UK (presumably European Union) employment law generally dictates that
non-EU citizen (or person otherwise entitled to indefinite residence in
the
UK) may only be employed if a suitable candidate cannot be found from
within
the EU. While there do seem to be exceptions in practice, this side of
the
pond has quite a few Museum Studies graduates of its own, and it would
probably make it hard for an American to make a convincing case that
there
are no locals who could do the job they can do (unless they occupy a
very
specific niche). Having said that, I'm Australian by birth but have
claim to
British Citizenship through ancestry and therefore entitled to be
treated
like the locally-born (except when the cricket's on :-))

The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
read "help" (without the quotes).

Disclaimer: The information transmitted is intended only for the
addressee and may contain confidential, proprietary and/or privileged
material.  Any unauthorized review, distribution or other use of or
the taking of any action in reliance upon this information is
prohibited.  If you received this in error, please contact the sender
and delete or destroy this message and any copies