Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 22:17:37 -0400
Dear sjdv:

>as i am fairly new to the list, i hope that this is not a repeat of a
>recently asked question--can someone recommend a good guide re copyright
>and publishing issues for small organizations?

You will find useful tips on copyright at the RARIN  (Rights and
Reproduction Information Network) website - a site provided by the
Registrars Committee of AAM.   It doesn't include guidelines - per se, but
is useful nonetheless.  The URL is
http://www.panix.com/~squigle/rarin/01rcsite.html

>i am working with a
>non-profit that has a small archive.  they would like to print
>notecards/postcards/guides using their archival images. some images they
>very clearly have the rights to--the photographer signed a deed of
>gift--

A comment here: unless the deed of gift by the photographer explicitly
gives you a license to reproduce the work in anyway you choose (or
explicitly gives you copyright) and even though you have a deed of gift for
the work itself - you do not own the copyright - that resides with the
photographer if living and even if deceased - with his/her heirs or assigns
for a good period (check out the handy-dandy table at the website (go to
"Surveys, Samples & Shortcuts" - then go to "When Works Pass Into the
Public Domain").

>others are images that at one point were the property of a now
>defunct newspaper and not all of them have photographer information.  i
>have looked at the u.s. copyright info but i'm really looking for a
>source that will guide small museums and non-profits through the
>publishing process.

Again, assume you do not own copyright unless you have a document that
explicitly states you do.  RARIN is likely offering a preconference
workshop on copyright at the next AAM meeting in Baltimore.  I hope someone
more versed in copyright than I, can answer your question about the
newspapers images.  Your question regarding a guide sounds like a good
suggestion/project for RARIN.  Hope to see you at AAM.

Suzanne Quigley
Chair, RARIN (an RC-AAM Taskforce)
Head Registrar
Whitney Museum of American Art