From:
Kathy Haas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Nov 2009 11:04:31 -0500
What we've done is basically what you suggest. We divide the file up into
tracks for each object, label the tracks with numbers e.g. "Track
1--Lincoln's Baltimore Address" with corresponding signs on the object
label, and install the tracks on the mp3 players as a playlist. In terms of
making the files available for people to put on their own devices, we do not
have anything specific on site (I don't think people usually travel with
their cables anyway), we just post the files on the website, both as
individual tracks, and as a zip file containing all tracks. Right now we
don't have any audio up on the site since none of our current shows have
audio components, but we will be putting up audio soon for a new show.

As far as hygienic concerns, when we started we talked to Winterthur about
what they do since they've had iPod tours for a while and they told us that
they bought a bunch of disposable earphone covers, but nobody ever asked for
them and they just had boxes of them sitting around. So we decided not to
worry about it and just to go with plain-old cheap over-the-head earphones
and we haven't had any problems, so far. We do keep extras on hand in case
of breakage, so I suppose if someone was really concerned we could give them
a fresh out-of-the-package one, but it hasn't really come up. Once again,
we're a small place, which may affect people's attitudes.

Kathy