From:
"Robert A. Baron" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Dec 1996 12:44:40 -0500
At 09:17 AM 12/19/96 EST, E.Siegel wrote:

>BTW, one of the quirky things about democracies is that they don't
   only respond to the interests of majorities.

Let's all thank Eric for raising this embarrassing and destructive argument
up several big notches.  He has reminded us that our policy for the
handicapped is entirely consistent with the historic mission of the United
States: as a haven for the disadvantaged and the oppressed:  "Give me your
tired ..."

I'd like to add that the "Give them a helping hand" attitude is essentially
paternalistic, and as such, constantly assaults the recipient with the
message that he or she is dependent.  Most applications of policy toward
the handicapped is aimed at providing equal access to society and its
institutions.

Further, it has been maintained that the technologies created to aid
handicapped people have had a much wider impact on society in general than
its original mission would lead one to suspect. How many people take
advantage of doors that open automatically in supermarkets, in hospitals?
The use of inter-frame space on the TV to carry text has led to the use of
this space to carry other kinds of data and will lead to a more widly used,
more useful television media.  I saved an article on this subject
(somewhere) and I'll be glad to dig it up if anyone requests it.

R.Baron