From:
Cindy Boyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 May 2014 10:22:20 -0400
Deb, do you think that not for profits should pay property tax?  If not, they are getting all of the other services for free.

What is the point of having NFP's be tax exempt?  I assume it is because the NFP provides a benefit to the community, and are granted the exemption to help support that benefit.

When services that have been traditionally paid for by property taxes are transitioned to a fee payment, it seems to me that specifically targets NFP's.

Interesting that college towns have been mentioned - and this is indeed a college town. So I understand the economic pressure on a town if much of their base is NFP. But it's also the college that provides the vast majority of employment and business support in the town.

Now, if NFP's should not get exemption from taxes - that's another discussion.

Cindy Boyer

Director of Public Programs

The Landmark Society of Western New York

133 S. Fitzhugh St.

Rochester NY  14608

(585) 546-7029 ext. 12

Fax:  (585) 546-4788