From:
Kristen Stalling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 16:36:06 -0600
Erin,
The Truman home (Harry & Bess Truman's home 1919-1982, and Bess'
grandparents' home prior to that) has a number of artifacts that contain
preserved foods, including canned jellies, fruits, vegetables, etc. and
bottled drinks (i.e. wines, sodas, liquor).  Most of ours date from the mid
20th century as well.  We have been preserving these items intact over the
past 20 years and will continue to do so until we are forced to dispose of
the contents.  Most of these items are no longer stored in the home, but
are kept at our off-site storage facility, where they are kept at regulated
temp and Rh levels and are in the dark most of the time. We check them
often for changes, such as leakages.  The only thing we've had to do so far
is re-cork a few of the wine bottles that were beginning to leak.  I don't
think any of the foods we have would be hazardous as long as they remain
sealed.

Like you, we are trying to keep the entire contents of the home complete,
as it was donated by Bess Truman in 1982.  Several of these artifacts have
been used in temporary exhibits in our visitor center to help illustrate
themes about the Truman family, which we feel helps justify keeping them.
Hope this helps.

Kristen Stalling
Museum Technician
Harry S Truman NHS