From:
Tod Engine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 1997 04:16:05 GMT
<<Greetings All,
        Recently our museum system acquired a large collection of
hand-crafted
" O" size Railroad engines and cars that has a considerable value attached
it. We are depending on a group of local model railroad enthusiasts to
help us
create a working exhibit layout. My situation is that I need a good
reference,
in plain English, and preferably with pictures to convince them of the
need for
them to wear the white gloves as they work with the collection pieces. >>

I am involved with a local historical society and I also am an O scale
model railroader.  First of all, I do not believe that wearing gloves when
handling the models is neccesary, especially for a working model railroad
layout.  The locomotives, especially steam, nead to be lubricated, and
this lubrication will eventually spray itself all over the models and
layout.  So any additioanl oils from human hands won't matter much.

Also, you risk greater damage handling the models by wearing gloves.  To
rerail equipment, couple & uncouple requires nimble fingers that can reach
into tiny places.  By wearing gloves you risk snagging on delicate detail
parts and knocking them off.

The paints used in model construction is usually quire strong.  I have a
locomotive that dates back to the late 1930s with its original paint job,
and the paint is still adhering fine and the engine shows no signs of
decaying paint.  That loco is also our most powerful and we are not afraid
to pour on the amperage. (5+ amps at times at 20 volts)

Unlike artifacts such as photographs, documents and other delicate items,
the larger model trains, especially those built of brass, are suprisingly
indestructible.  They generally have no historic value themselves, but can
be used to recreate a historic railroading scene.

Also, if you are concerned so much that you would require the modelers to
wear gloves, you had better rethink your position about operating this
equipment.  Models do not always stay on the track, and derailments at
speed have been known to scratch paint, remove detail parts and even dent
in sheet metal. That is one of the compromises you must make when
operating anything.  You must be wiling to accept a certain amount of
damage.  If you have someone qualified to make good looking repairs and
does quality work this may not be a problem.

Of course, I am referring to O SCALE trains, as opposed to O GAUGE Lionel
trains with three rails. Lionel trains are still not generally regarded as
historic, but are collectors items, and operating certain rare highly
sought after Lionel equipment would lower its value to collectors. O scale
trains is generally a craftsman's hobby, with much of the older equipment
built or heavily modified by individual modelers.

This does not answer your original question, but I hope it helps shed some
light on the realities of operating model trains.

Rick Rowlands