From:
John Chadwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Sep 1996 17:44:37 -0600
I usually don't break in on these conversations, but the advertisement for the
fax service was stretching the bounds considerably. If I had thought it would
do any good I would have sent a message to the poster about advertisements on
the list.

I suppose there is still a bit of a purist in me when it comes to e-mail. There
are legitimate services of interest to museum professionals that are
appropriate posts as Helen pointed out, but a blatant mass-mailing sales scheme
of questionable origins seems to cross the line between appropriate and
inappropriate postings.

LISTSERV software which distributes mail for the list has an excellent SPAM
detector that has prevented five SPAMS from being posted to this list in the
last month. And, with school starting again I expect to see a flood of
commercial e-mail hawking magazine subscriptions and other products. We should
be spared from most of these, but people who are determined to make a quick
buck will undoubtedly find a way around the security we have.

--john chadwick