From:
Cristin Waterbury <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2012 08:23:03 -0500
HI Cass,
Have you tried seeking out any local foundation-type sources for funding opportunities? We have had good luck in that area for our two mid 19th century historic sites. In fact, just this week we received $10,000 to restore our 1840s granary building from a local foundation. For us, funding on the federal level for this type of work has always been a challenge to get because our sites are not necessarily seen as "nationally significant" by the big feds, but they are still regionally and locally significant and fit with our mission. In our case, state money has definitely dried up and federal money is very hard to get but looking for private foundation sources has been pretty successful. I know we're in different parts of the country, though.

Cristin J. Waterbury
Curator
National Mississippi River Museum & Aquarium
A Property of the Dubuque County Historical Society
350 East 3rd Street
Dubuque, Iowa 52001
Ph: 563-557-9545, ext 204
Fax:  563-583-1241