Date:
Sun, 26 Jan 2003 19:58:42 -0500
My department head and I are in the process of drafting a proposal to create a "Center for Collections-Based Learning" in an attempt to integrate our disparate collections--art, decorative arts, natural history, local artifacts from archaeological digs, classical antiquities, architecture, and archives--more fully into the college curriculum.

It would really strengthen our case to have citations for any studies or articles--or examples from real life--that demonstrate the validity of object-based learning, the appeal of museum collections to high school students (statistics on volunteers would be helpful), the number of college students interested in careers in the museum field, or, since we are a women's college, the number of women employed in the field (I believe there was a thread on this last point some time ago, but a quick archives search didn't yield anything).  I'd be grateful for anything you could send my way that might be of benefit regarding this; please respond off-list to [log in to unmask]

Many thanks in advance for your assistance.

--
Christian Carr
Acting Director