Date:
Sat, 9 Aug 1997 14:03:09 -0400
In a message dated 8/8/97 9:08:18 PM:

>Hi folks,
>I'm the exhibit designer for the Museum of Mobile. My dilemma is whether
>to use carpet in my core exhibit galleries or not. I would like any pros
>or cons of such use.
>Thank you,
>Robb McClendon

It depends on how you plan to use the gallery.  For temporary exhibitions its
hard to beat vinyl tile or wood.  Yes, there is an increase in the sound
levels because of the hard surfaces. However, that can be mitigated somewhat
by wall treatments.

For a long term exhibition, a good quality carpet is hard to beat.  It does
make a difference in comfort for the visitor.  The floor can help the
interpretation and design by including patterns, colors and even images.

Carpet requires maintenance just like any floor surface.  Find a good service
and use it annually(depending on attendance). Carpet tiles require more
maintenance to rotate their placement in the gallery to achieve an even wear.

There are roll carpets available with a sticky back, similar to carpet tiles,
that allow for re-positioning and repairs.  Check with a local architect that
does a lot of commercial buildings for ideas.  Contact me directly and I will
locate the manufacturer we have used in the past.

Whitney Watson
Exhibition Designer/Missouri Historical Society