From:
Aaron Goldblatt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Oct 1994 11:51:25 -0400
Bob Rogers writes
"What is it about this country that we can't tell a story about the past
without triggering the reactions of extremists?  What, exactly, would these
folks have us do? Preface every mention of past events with apologies for the
event and everything that's happened since?  For these reactionaries, the very
mention of some subjects indicates hidden messages and evil bias.  The content,
the story, seem unimportant to them. Perhaps using these programs as targets is
the only way fringe groups feel they can be heard, to which I respond: tell
your own story in your own way and let the marketplace of ideas decide on the
merits of each version."

    If there were such a thing as a free marketplace of ideas, possibly the
complaint would be credible. What is left out is the critical context of a
power dynamic. When the NATIONAL AIR AND SPACE MUSEUM (caps intentional) puts
on a show, say what you like, but its more than some folks standing around,
nicely exchanging ideas. How many people do you suppose have the resources at
hand to express their take on what happened somewhere in that manner?  How many
times in a lifetime does someone have the opportunity to address several
million people in a year about something passionately felt? It must be
remembered that it was tax dollars that went into this exhibit. Doesn't that
mean something about "representation"?  Museums are not some innocent, neutral,
well meaning to all, protectors of truth! They are institutions with political
and fiancial advantage that can be, and often have been, mouthpieces for the
interests of wealth and power. To pretend that this is not the case is simply
delusional.
    The glib characterization of the NAACP (re the re-enactment @ Williamsburg)
or WILPF, for that matter, as "reactionary" and "fringe" groups adds nothing to
the debate. Certainly there are silly and illconsidered responses to very good
work. Does that mean we should throw up our hands and pout about their
silliness? Get a grip! It means we listen carefully, respond appropriately and
stay in the arena. If you can't take the heat...
    It was courageous for the NASM to mount this exhibit. It was couragous of
Colonial Williamsburg to stage the reenactment.  Let's not trivialize that
courage by getting hysterical when it is truly called into play.

Aaron Goldblatt