From:
Kathie Gow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2013 23:24:27 -0500
Hi Ashley and Jillian. There is another avenue to explore while waiting for
a full-time museum job, especially if you're already connected with a museum
where you'd like to work -- and if you have some other work, at least
part-time. Find out what granting organizations might be available in your
state, or in your area of interest, and then ask the museum if they would
sponsor you working on a specific project for them if you got a grant for
it.

I have been working on a volunteer basis for a small historical society
museum for about three years, eventually as curator (still volunteer), and
needed to find a way to make some money while working there so I could keep
doing it. I saw an ad (perhaps here on MUSEUM-L) for a Collections Manager
for the Hanover, Mass., Historical Society, to do all the sorts of things I
was already doing for our Historical Society museum. They had money to fund
the person for 650 hours, plus money for archival supplies, all paid from a
Mass. Community Preservation grant. So I got our Historical Society to
sponsor me, and I wrote a grant very much like the Hanover position
description for OUR Community Preservation Committee, including cataloging
new acquisitions, re-cataloging old acquisitions, adding images for each
record (photographing or scanning), rehousing artifacts in archival
enclosures, recommending items for deaccession, overseeing volunteers,
etc... It is largely a Collection inventory project, but your project could
be anything you're passionate about -- or the museum really needs. I'm still
finishing up Year 1 of the grant, and I've been approved for a second year.
It only works out to a part-time job, but it allows me to get paid for doing
what the museum needs and what I love to do.

If our local area is any indication, there are lots of small historical
society museums across the country with volunteer staffs who have notable
collections and no money or in-house expertise to work on them. This takes
some time to set up, but a year or two of part-time grant work just might
turn into a job. As for writing the grant, a lot of granting organizations
include past recipients' projects and sample applications on their websites,
which is very helpful.

Good luck!

--Kathie

Kathie Gow