From:
Eric Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 1995 16:42:14 EST
     Matt: Very adroit topic re-direction. I'm going to do it again.
     The question about accessibility is one of the things that got me
     started on the *Diversity by Design* conference that I'm putting
     together (also my 3.5 year-old daughter has Cerebral Palsy).

     So here is the latest on the conference.   Please feel free to
     spread the word. I will provide registration info in September,
     but its only going to cost $30, and will include coffee and
     lunch, so its worth coming to NY just for that!! In fact, I think
     it will be a good show, and I've learned a tremendous amount
     getting to this point. Though it may be premature to do thanking,
     my curiousity about many of these topics has been piqued by
     Museum-L'ers, and I'm grateful for this list.

     Hope to see some of you there in November, we should live so
     long.

     Eric Siegel

PROGRAM SUMMARY

Diversity By Design
A Museum Professionals Workshop
Presented by the Museums Council of New York City
Sponsored by the International Design Center
November 3, 1995

The Museums Council of New York is presenting Diversity By Design, a
Museum Professionals Workshop sponsored by the International
Design Center. The conference will be take place at IDC in Long
Island City on November 3rd from 9 AM to 3:30 PM.

Three panels, consisting of both museum staff and design
professionals, will make presentations. These panels are:

Designing for Diverse Audiences: What are successful processes
for creating exhibits and programs that attract diverse
audiences? What design strategies can be brought to bear upon the
important museum mandate to include non-traditional audiences of
all types? This panel will address these issues with regard to
audiences from diverse cultural, racial, educational, and
economic backgrounds, as well as audiences with disabilities and
different ways of learning.

Designing to Express Diverse Viewpoints: How do museums create
exhibits which express divergent viewpoints, particularly
viewpoints which may not represent mainstream perspectives?
Contemporary discourse presents fragmented and often competing
models of history, culture, social issues, education, and
aesthetics; how do museums design exhibits and programs to
address this diversity?

Designing with Diverse Media: Contemporary museum exhibits and
programs incorporate an extraordinary array of media, including
original objects, text and graphics, and digital images, sounds,
and hypertext. The increasing use of computers and networks in
the creation and dissemination of museum exhibits and programs
raises important questions about the primacy of original objects
in the museum, as well as other long-standing assumptions about
the museum experience. Therefore, this panel will not only
address advances in digital technology, but also the fundamental
rationales for using different media in museum exhibits and
programs.

We expect an audience of 2-300 from both the museum and the
design professions, and announcements in trade publications as
well as the local press. IDC will provide transportation from
Manhattan, audio-visual equipment as required, and logistical
support for the conference.

For further information, please contact Eric Siegel (718) 817-
8562, or [log in to unmask]

Welcome: Eric Siegel DbD conference producer.

  Keynote Speaker: Ralph Applebaum

  Designing for Diverse Audiences:

Susan Yelavich, Panel Moderator: Cooper Hewitt, National Museum
of Design
     Carol Ensecki: The Brooklyn Children's Museum
     George Covington: Independent Artist/Accessibility Advocate
     Grace Stanislau: Museum for African Art

  Designing to Incorporate Diverse Viewpoints:

Mindy Duitz, Panel Moderator: Consultant, former Director of
     Brooklyn Children's Museum
     Mike Henke: Design Division (Pequot Museum exhibition
                 consultants)
     Ruth Abrams: The Tenement Museum
     Leslie Bedford: Brooklyn Historical Society

  Designing with Diverse Media:

Samuel Taylor, Panel Moderator: The American Museum of Natural
History
     Robert Semper: The Exploratorium
     David Tarnow: Independent Audio Producer
     Fred Wilson: Independent Exhibition Consultant

ver. July 26, 1995