From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Sep 2005 10:56:15 -0400
I have to offer a note of caution here.

You have to be extremely carefull with using water or any liquid
solvents in dealing with cleaning issues with stone and other materials
such as adobe and mortar.

Water and solents can actually often drive the staining media or the
dirt into the substrate, sometimes making it intractable to remove. You
could make the problem far worse.

Yes, we conservators often test stone surfaces with small cotton swabs
in unobtrusive, less visible areas, but this is to access the
soluability of the problem material so that we can formulate very
specific cleaning approaches using poltices, or these days even lasers
(a colleague of mine is doing research of cleaning rock art with
lasers).

So, it is best to consult a conservator first before attempting
anything yourself.

The AIC (American Institute of Conservation) has a free guide to
services that allows you to search the database online and find
conservators in your region who you can contact.

www.aic.standford.edu

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey