From:
Robert Applegate <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jul 2005 08:43:26 -0700
Pamela,

I would suggest reading the National Park Service Museum Handbook, Part II,

Appendix D: Museum Archives and Manuscript Collections. I also would

suggest something that is repeated over and over in the handbook, consult

with a trained archivist. Here is the link:

http://www.cr.nps.gov/museum/publications/MHII/mh2appd.pdf

Luck,

Robert

Robert Applegate, CA

Archivist

Nez Perce National Historical Park

Big Hole National Battlefield

39063 US HWY 95

Spalding ID  83540

phone: 208-843-2261 x142

fax: 208-843-2124

                      Pamela Elbe

                      <[log in to unmask]>         To:       [log in to unmask]

                      Sent by: Museum            cc:       (bcc: Robert Applegate/NEPE/NPS)

                      discussion list            Subject:  [MUSEUM-L] Accessioning archival materials to museum collection

                      .LSOFT.COM>

                      07/06/2005 05:24 PM

                      AST

                      Please respond to

                      Museum discussion

                      list

I’m looking for suggestions on how to handle a significant amount of

archival materials (personal memoirs, military records, correspondence) and

photographs donated to my museum over nearly a decade (late 1980s to

mid-1990s) from hundreds of individuals.  The then-archivist had the donors

sign deeds of gift giving title and applicable rights to the museum, but he

never assigned accession numbers for these donations (but he did assign

accession numbers for 3-D objects).  In some cases where the donor gave

both archival materials and three-dimension objects he obtained two

deeds—one for the archives and one for the 3-D collection.

Here’s my problem: there is no good way to keep track of what we have deeds

for and what we don’t as far as the archives are concerned.  I currently

have my accession files for the museum collection (all of which are in our

collections database) and then boxes of deeds and correspondence for all of

the stuff that was never formally accessioned (none of which are in our

database).  We use PastPerfect for the 3-D collection and plan to

(eventually) have all of museum collections—3-D, archival, photographic—in

PastPerfect.  This won’t be a problem for all of the material that was

acquired mid-1990s to present because everything has been assigned an

accession number and there is only one deed of gift per donation, but I

need to figure out how to handle all of the material that wasn’t formally

accessioned.

My instinct is to assign accession numbers as I work through these files,

but this will end up being a couple of hundred accessions when all is said

and done.  Is this a good or bad idea?  Any suggestions?  There are so many

little, tangential problems (never having had a complete database, multiple

files, no clear policy… you name it) in addition to the big problem

mentioned above that it makes my head hurt.

Pamela Elbe

Collections Manager and Archivist

National Museum of American Jewish Military History

1811 R St. NW, Washington DC  20009

p: 202.265.6280 x201

f: 202.462.3192

http://www.nmajmh.org

Don’t miss our new exhibition, Reconnaissance and Recollection: Military

and Civilian Photographs from World War II—the photographs of Sy Weinstein.

Subscriber Information:

The Museum-L FAQ file is located at

read "help" (without the quotes).

Museum-L" (without the quotes).