From:
Claudia Nicholson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Apr 1996 14:24:27 GMT
The problem with presenting "controversial" art in the museum to provoke
is that visitors tend to assume that if it is on a wall in a museum, it is
"good" art.  (or "good" artifacts, by the same token).  When we present
objects or art to provoke thought, we often don't do a good enough job of
letting the visitor in on our thinking.

At my museum, we once exhibited a Klan robe--a real surprise to many native
South Dakotans who tend to associate the Klan with the South, not South
Dakota!  Anyway, one pair of visitors was so offended that we had showed
it, that they wrote and excoriated us for "glorifying" the Klan.  We had
intended to do no such thing, but our matter-of-fact label about the Klan's
presence in SD was probably not sufficient to let the visitors know that
history, at least, IS about the good, bad, and the ugly.

Art museums are generally worse, because the art if often exhibited without
comment.

Claudia Nicholson
Curator of Collections
South Dakota State Historical Society, Pierre

In article <[log in to unmask]>, Richard
Perry <[log in to unmask]> says: