From:
Ava Ferguson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 1996 18:08:12 -0500
I participated in Beverly Serrell's "51% Solution" project after attending a
presentation Beverly gave at the Visitor Studies Conference in 1993. I used
Beverly's methodology to conduct a summative evaluation of an exhibit at the
Monterey Bay Aquarium called "Kelp Lab." The results of the study were quite
surprising and are being merged with the data provided by the many other
participants in Beverly's project. I strongly encourage you to contact
Beverly for information on how to contribute your own data.

For those interested in learning more about the "51% Solution," Beverly has
published several articles on the topic, including the following:

"Using behavior to define the effectiveness of exhibitions" (in Museum
Visitor Studies in the 90s by Sandra Bicknell & Graham Farmelo).

"The 51% Solution Research Project: A Meta-Analysis of Visitor Time/Use in
Museum Exhibitions" (in Visitor Behavior, vol. X, no. 3, Fall 1995).

Also, if any of you have conducted timing-and-tracking studies of your
exhibits, Beverly would like to hear from you. You can reach her at:

Beverly Serrell
Serrell & Associates
5429 South Dorchester
Chicago, IL 60615