From:
Ann Morton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Mar 1994 08:46:17 -0500
(I hope I've posted this correctly--our system has a few "individual quirks"
which make addressing mail a challenge)

I have been very interested in the discussions of fumigation and freezing, in
relation to "big dead things."  More pressing to me, however, is what to do
with "big live things."  Specifically, cockroaches (South American kind!),
stink bugs, red mites, wasps, and the occasional water rat.

I should explain:  part of my archive occupies space on the ground floor of
the football stadium, adjacent to the main stairwell and concession booth
(basically the kitchen for the games).  The room is about 200 sq.ft.,
divided lentghwise, the left-hand portion (under the stairs) being a
dis-used shower stall for the janitorial staff (old shower fixtures, broken
tile and dirt floor).  The main heat risers for the building run through this
space.  The space is essentially warm, moist and dark, with lots of easy
access points for non-humans.

I should add that I did not select this space; I "inherited" it as the
result of negotiations which took place before I arrived.  "In the fullness
of time" I will get some more appropriate location, meanwhile short-term
avenues to move or off-site are "on-hold."

Any ideas would be appreciated.  You can contact me directly at

Ann Morton
Facilities Archive and Records Center
University of Rochester

P.S.  I should also mention that I share part of this space with the
janitor, who uses it to store his supplies (paper, chemicals), vacuum
cleaner and mop cart.