From:
Claudia Nicholson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 May 1997 13:09:53 GMT
In article <v01540b05af956face3d7@[194.90.120.117]>, Susan Hazan
<[log in to unmask]> says:

>Could you please help me with this one?
>
>Do the senior administrative staff in your museum or organisation have the
>right to access/read your e-mail at your work-place?

You betcha!  At least in the U.S., I think that courts have determined
that an employee has no reasonable expectation of privacy when using the
company's/organization's equipment to communicate.  Even though they must
inform you if they are listening in on telephone conversations, they do
not have to ask your permission to look at your e-mail.  In a way, it is
just like the paper files you have in your office--the theory is that it
belongs to the employer because it was created on the employer's time.

You should certainly ask a lawyer friend about precedent in Israel.

Claudia Nicholson
Curator of Collections
Museum of the South Dakota State Historical Society
Pierre