From:
Ross Weeks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2001 10:41:37 -0400
Pam:  A great many successful university presidents have come from outside
the academic world.  They are skilled at fundraising, instituting "best
practices" in financial management and planning, and/or schmoozing the state
politicians for increased funding.  They would not qualify as members of the
faculty.

Increasingly this has been true for the other knowledge enterprises
including museums.  Top museum administrators require many of the same
qualifications and abilities as corporate CEOs.  One does not need to know
how to screw in a light bulb in order to be successful at the helm of
General Electric.

These types of entrepreneurs are the ones who have created the successful
auxiliary enterprises, including highly profitable gift shops (complete with
e-commerce nowadays), that help meet the expenses of the larger museums.

Political appointees, of course, fit into a different category altogether.
Their institutions need a figurehead, but at the second level there should
be highly qualified museum professionals.
Ross Weeks Jr.
Historic Crab Orchard Museum & Pioneer Park
Tazewell, Va.
http://histcrab.netscope.net