From:
Bob Rogers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Aug 1994 09:36:59 -0500
If I can put my 2 cents in as a visitor, not a museum professional...

I always enjoy museum "technology" if it adds to the experience of the visit.
For example, I once saw a reproducing lathe (used to make gunstocks from
a patter stock) in the Smithsonian.  What makes this item stand out is the
fact that there was a tape-loop video playing that showed the lathe (or
a reproduction) in use.  The video game me something that the "mere" artifact
didn't provide.  As a counter-example, I've often been dis-impressed by
those tiny Mac screens entombed in kiosks so popular with exhibit designers.
They are only usable, indeed only viewable, by one or two people at a
time. Couldn't there at least be "repeater" monitors?  They also attract
people (kids, especially)  _away_ from the rest of the exhibit.  Even
if the software is good (which is rare - I wonder if it's viewed, in
preparation,  with the same critical eye that, say, exhibit text is), it's
frustrating to have to wait, feel time pressure to use it, etc.  This
software often runs on standard hardware - even CD drives are becoming
commonplace in homes - yet the exhibit software is never (?) available at
the museum shop, unlike the printed catalog of the same exhibit.

Finally, please buy a few less computers and use the money saved for
hands-on exhibits!  The chance to put together a barrel-like container
at the Smithsonian, use a foot-powered lathe at Connor Prairie, use a
cross-cut saw at the Minnesota Forrest History Center, and other
experiences are meaningful and memorable in a deep way, and have brought
me and my family closer to times and people long gone.

(A final - really - rant: please print up some 1 or 2 page bibliographies
and make them available at the museum.  Exhibits often serve as
"appetizers" for reading.)

--
Bob Rogers            Internet:  [log in to unmask]
Instrumental, Inc.    GEnie:     R.C.ROGERS