From:
LaserRay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Aug 1997 23:33:54 -0500
Stephen Ringle wrote:
> We too have ribbed carpet on our gallery walls.  I love the stuff:
> I never have to paint it or touch it up; take down one show & put up the
> next.  Vacuum once a year.  A little care and clever use of expanded poly as
> cushioning has allowed attaching large constructions to the walls with
> sheetrock screws.  But, best of all: VELCRO sticks to it!  All the labels and
> texts are supported on the wall with little velcro dots. Valcro also helps to
> keep difficult artworks (=student) in place and level.

That is so cool to hear! We do the same thing with one of our galleries,
a small, changing-exhibit space with carpeted walls. Other pluses: you can
velcro-ize your level, and just stick it on the wall for use as a level
ledge for positioning pieces. You get to try out positioning possibilities
for pieces before committing to final placement. You can hang fabric to
walls without nails or adhesives. Best of all, it's quiet and forgiving.

The possibilities seem endless: a visitor once took issue with the content of
one
of our velcroed labels, zipped it off the wall and walked the length of the
gallery
to discuss it with the gallery attendant--our first low-tech interactive
exhibit!

Ray
***
(University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology)