From:
Heleanor Feltham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Oct 1996 16:56:00 PDT
Subject: Re: Children's Guide
Date: Wednesday, 23 October 1996 9:24PM

After more than 20 years in Museum ed......(and as a founding member of the
Asian Arts Society of Australia)  I would suggest that you..

(and please forgive me if it all seems too horribly obvious)

First establish what age group you are writing for, and what their literacy
level is likely to be like.

Whatever you do, DON'T patronise your readers.  Keep the language simple,
and quite complex ideas can still get through.  (also, older kids will be
less put off if you decide to use your guide for them too)

Use lots of pictures - blocks of text look threatening.

Do focus on the stories behind the symbols - kids love Chinese lions,
dragons, monsters, bats and all the other complex imagery of Chinese
ceramics and textiles.

Don't ever ask a question that could, in theory, be answered by 'yes' or
'no'.

Do make sure that you encourage a range of intellectual and physical skills
 - drawing, inferring, reading, analysing, describing, searching - and that
they are nicely mixed, so the kids don't get too bored

Don't get carried away with enthusiasm and create a whole book - kids
can't/don't want to spend all their museum visit on work, no matter how much
you think it looks like fun.

Do suggest things to do back at school - you encourage follow-up

Don't focus too tightly on a small group of objects - if you do, the kids
won't look at anything else

If you must use word games, 'find the object' crosswords are better than
word blocks, they engage with the exhibition, not just the inside of the
kid's head.  (word blocks are good for follow-up, however)

Do limit the number of questions that require label-reading - you may want
them to read it all, but most kids didn't go out for a reading lesson.

Colouring-in can usually only be done back at school, it's very time
consuming, and requires the kids to carry around a whole swag of pencils or
crayons, not to mention needing a good clip-board.

Don't put in large blocks of reading material - they've already seen there
are object labels, and theme labels - you are just adding another layer of
verbiage.  Make sure the teachers/parents get detailed notes, and leave it
up to them what they tell the kids.  It's OK to put small bits of odd,
interesting or vital info. in highlighted blocks.

If you want to make it a take home and use, as well as an on-site exercise,
consider including recipes (of the kind that you might have eaten from the
bowls in the exhibition)

Do ask questions that re-contextualise the objects - ceramics and textiles
look thoroughly abstract in a museum case, and not at all like things
designed to be worn and used.

Good luck, and have fun with it.

Heleanor

Heleanor Feltham
Sydney Mint Museum

Hi,
I am designing a children's guide for a Chinese exhibition of ceramics and
textiles.  This is my first time writing a children's guide and I need to
know if there are any specific things I need to consider (Some do's and
don'ts perhaps?)

So far I have some word puzzles, coloring exercises, a scavenger hunt
(looking activities) and some history.  Could the experienced museum
educators out there provide me with some advice?  Send do's and don'ts to
my personal address or feel free to post them on the list for everyone!

Thank you in advance,

Melanie Cagonot