From:
Barry Dressel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Aug 1997 10:28:00 -0400
I'm reading Thomas Pynchon's new novel "Mason and Dixon" ; the two
surveyors are in Capetown, South Africa to observe the transit of Venus,
and Dixon discovers Malay food (Malays brought to SA by the Dutch)
including a sauce called jetlap. At one point they are having trouble
getting it out of the bottle and a character suggests slapping the bottom
of the bottle....