From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 03:21:52 -0800
At its present pace, the mentoring thread is expected
to end sometime next week absent any new requests for
mentors.  I still have a few in my mentoring file left
to post, but have kept to my word that there would be
no more than two, M-F, and missed two week days last
week.  As such, there won't be any until Monday.

The experience thus far has been mostly positive.
I've heard wonderful stories of mentorees matched with
mentors and good feedback on both sides.  I've heard
real success stories.  One of our folks got a job!
I've had some mixed messaging--mentorees it's
important you contact any who step up to help you in a
timely fashion, and I can't overemphasize the value of
thanking them PROFUSELY for their efforts.  They care
about you, and you must show it in return.  This is a
rare opportunity, this little experiment of ours, so
we must be gracious.

Unfortunately, there have been a couple who did not
make matches.  Now that the brouhaha has essentially
abated on list, you may wish to go back to the
archives and search on the words MENTOR ME! where the
date is since 2002.  The archives can be found in the
FAQ at the bottom of each message.  Right this minute,
it seems to be down for maintenance, or I would have
included it in this note.

If you have not sent in a request to be mentored and
still want to be included, look at one of the sample
documents and largely write your own, forwarding it to
me.  I've only had to do a few edits to date.

For me, personally, this has been a very rewarding
experience.  I've had a chance to get to know a few
delightful people who would have otherwise been
anonymous email addresses, made some good friends and
found some real camaraderie, and seen young people who
were otherwise too intimidated to speak up find their
voice and contribute positively to the discussions at
hand on list.  They are our future, and any time we
spend helping them is really our gift to ourselves!

I thank the list's indulgence for allowing this
thread, and I want to personally thank each of you who
made the time out of your busy day to help another.

You are very special people.  Have a glass of cyber
champagne and a box of cyber chocolates on me!

=====
Indigo Nights

Looking for a job?  Try:
http://victorian.fortunecity.com/stanmer/414   OR