From:
Angela Linn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 14:19:15 -0900
Hi all,
I received a call from a local woman who has an antique wedding dress
she's interested in donating to a museum. It has no Alaskan relevance,
other than she now lives here, so I'm trying to post an alert to see if
anyone is interested. What follows is a description of the dress. If
anyone would like to talk to her more about it, please contact me off
the list and I'll put you in contact with her.
Thanks-
Angela

Antique wedding dress
Acquired by owner in Massachusetts in 1984. The original owner had it
in a trunk in her attic and said it had been an original costume for
the Ziegfield Follies (questionable, acc. to present owner). Worn by
the owner for her wedding dress.

Off-white (now) heavy gauge satin, shiny on outside, matte-finish on
inside. Long (10 ft) train. Appears to have handmade peach-colored
lace; the whole back is cut out with the lace and satin combined (hard
to visualize). Three panels of lace on the train. The neckline could be
buttoned to the top to be conservative (has a very small lace collar).
Buttons are spaced approx. 4" apart, are on the front, and are
fabric-covered. Sleeves are large and puffy at top, then tight at the
forearms (presumably just below the elbow - owner referred to this as
"mutton-chop sleeves"). Also has a satin underdress that was shortened
by owner to loan to someone else, but is extant.

The current owner has not been able to find any labels anywhere on the
garment. Also, she feels fairly confident it's quite old as there are
no modern notions on it, in addition to the handmade lace feature.

She is not interested in selling it, or making the effort to put it on
eBay. She would like it to go somewhere where it could be appreciated.

If anyone is interested, please contact me off the list.

Angela J. Linn
Collections Manager, Ethnology & History
University of Alaska Museum
907 Yukon Drive
P.O. Box 756960
Fairbanks, AK 99775-6960