From:
Jill Chancey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 May 2008 14:40:34 -0500
For the most part, we have 85-year-old cork floors.  These are scarred
up and gouged in a few places, but we love them anyway.  They've got
*patina*, they're sound-dampening, and they're soft to the foot.  A
museum up the road from us recently went with cork floors, and their new
ones look terrific too.

We recently re-configured a gallery and had to find a new flooring.  We
went with carpet tiles because it's a gallery frequently used by
children's tours, and we wanted something soft for them to sit on.  The
tiles are easily switched out if one gets stained or torn, so we just
ordered an extra dozen or so when we installed.  Two and a half years
on, we have yet to replace one, as they've held up to traffic quite well.

Jill R. Chancey, PhD
Curator
Lauren Rogers Museum of Art
PO Box 1108